Saturday, February 28, 2015

How To Talk To Jacob

I've found that you can "talk" to Jacob if you happen to be online between 12:15-2:15 on a Saturday.  Here's a transcript of our conversation today:
Tony: Hey, Jacob. I'm up at the UofU at a computer conference. How long are you on the computer today?
Jacob: I started on the computer at 12:15 and I will be off at about 2:15.
Tony: So, what do you usually do for the 2-­hour span. It seems that today you've spent the first hour reading messages and crafting your weekly note.
Jacob: Yup. I also take some time to do some indexing or looking at the arbitration results. By the way, I do receive copies of the Young Elder's Epistles from time to time, but that link you sent me about it doesn't work. I think for some reason it's being blocked. What's it about?
Tony: I don't remember what link it was. Do you have it handy? I'll look back in my Sent Items and see if I can find it again.So, do you do indexing and looking at arbitration results at other times of the week, too? What other things are allowed during this special 2­-hour window?
Jacob: We do look at indexing results from time to time, but with the job of being a scribe that may be less often. We also have time to look on LDS-­approved websites.
Tony: That link doesn't work for me anymore, either. It must have just been to an electronic version of the newsletter. Anyway, the point was whether you read them; which you answered that you did. The second point was whether you've ever considered submitting anything to them. Have you?
Tony: Is the job of being a scribe the same thing as being a transcriber? Tell me more about it.
Jacob: I read old handwritten documents and type what is says letter for letter, then send it to someone else in our department to see how I've done. Seeing that it should be confidential, I dare not say anything else about it.
Jacob: I have considered submitting, but I wouldn't know how.
Tony: Doesn't it show how at the end of the newsletter? I seem to remember that.
Jacob: I'll check the next time I see one.
Tony: Do you get feedback on how well you're doing? Is it pretty easy? I'd imagine that some documents might be easier than others.
Jacob: Yes, yes, and yes.
So, if you've ever sent an email to him without a response - it's happened to Tara and I multiple times - you might try the "almost-synchronous" conversation method.

No comments:

Post a Comment